Saturday, March 9, 2013

21st Century the Age of Skinny & Ugly Models?

To be honest the fashion world annoys me sometimes. For example watching the Fall 2013 RTW shows, what I often did was I covered with my hand the faces of the models. They were just so ugly! I must say I just don't understand on what basis agencies pick their models. A model is, or at least sadly to say, used to be, a beautiful woman. Little girls browsing through magazines would point their little fingers and say "Mommy I want to look like her when I grow up!". Well, now such a mommy could get a heart attack seeing some of the girls in magazines. This is just an issue that's been on my mind lately. And not only mine. Many people I talk to share very similar opinions. Both men and women confess that they think many models nowadays simply look like monsters. That's why when a genuinely gorgeous models appears in the fashion industry I clap my hands and smile. But why is it that with every season we get uglier and uglier girls? Not to mention skinnier and skinnier? Of course there are some people in the industry that fight problems such as eating disorders among models. Still the average size of a 180 cm woman is mostly 34.
In the 50's models were beautiful and feminine. Of course they were slim, but they had curves. Some models on the runways today barely even have hips! For crying out loud what is going on?! Why are women, who are presenting clothes that I'm supposed to want to buy, so... unwomanly? How can women all over the world, with the average size over 40, relate to these skinny things?
The fashion industry, presenting us with these thin girls is setting unrealistic standards for children. 12-13 year old girls fall into eating disorders because they want to look like those air-brushed women on covers of magazines. Kate Moss with her famous quote "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels". How can you do that to future generations?
This craziness in the world of fashion is going too far. People have to start doing things about this.
Many cases of industry models who have been called too fat also appear. Coco Rocha, Ananda Marchildon who was fired even from her agency.

No comments:

Post a Comment